BOOK ONLINE
or choose search criteria
BOOK OFFLINE
or choose search criteria
FIND YOUR RESTAURANT
FIND PUBS AND OTHER PLACES
CULTURAL EVENTS
« January 2020 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31   
There are no events today.


USD 3,0952 –1.08
EUR 3,9659 –0.66

Today is 19 January
we celebrate name day of

Marta, Henryk, Mariusz

Sunrise: 7:35
Sunset: 15:59



This site was visited 35389181 times.



The Teutonic Knights Castle in Malbork
Tower of the castleMalbork is located 60 km from Gdańsk and is well connected by road and rail as it is a favorite day trip from the Tricity.
 
Trains from Gdańsk leave almost every 20-30 minutes. It takes about 1 hour to get to Malbork by SKM (II class ticket - 9,30 zł), or 50 minutes by express (15,90 zł).
 
By car take route 1 (to Czarlin) and then follow route 22 to Malbork - about 60 km, and sometimes there are road works so it may take longer.
 
Malbork attracts almost half million visitors every year. They come to see one of the biggest fortresses in Europe - the Teutonic Knights Castle. Castle Museum, Starościńska 1 St., tel. 055 647 08 02. Open TUE-SUN 09.00-19.30 and some holidays. Guided tours: adult30 zł, reduced and EURO 26 - 17,50 zł. Permission to photograph and video - 15 zł (buy a special label).
 
 
White Fleet of Malbork The History of the Castle of Malbork.
The construction of the castle was started in 1274, then just a village which in 1276 became a municipality. Between 1309 and 1457 Malbork was the capital of the state governed by the Teutonic Knights and the home of the Grand Master. After one of the greatest and bloodiest battles in Medieval history near the village of Grunwald in1410 the victorious Polish and Lithuanian army besieged the castle though to late to take it and destroy the Teutonic Knights completely. In 1466 the Treaty of Toruń was signed and Malbork and the castle was annexed by Poland. In 1772 it was taken from Poland by Prussia. During WWII the castle served as a prisoner of war camp, Stalag XX B, where 30 000 prisoners were held. In 1945, after terrible and bloody fighting the castle was taken from the Nazis by the Russian army. Much of the castle lay in ruins after the battle. On the 1st of January 1961, after years of restoration, the Castle and its museums were officially opened and in 1997 the castle was put on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
 
Last update May 2008